Tuesday 22 May 2012

Snow White maybe?

Sooo there was a competiton on Juxtapoz a little while ago for the new Snow White and the Huntsman movie.  Basically, create a poster promoting the film.  Oh, and you had to make sure the characters did not resemble the actors in the movie (I love image rights).  So I start working on it, only to find out the closing date was in two days.  I knew I wasn't going to finish in time but had been wanting to experiment with ink washes so I decided to do a quick ink wash drawing.  I had my reservations about the quality of the ink drawing but I liked the potential in the composition enough to scan it in and work it to completion in photoshop.  Here is the original drawing:


As you can see, very rough.  I wasn't too fazed, partly because I had used brown paper and knew I would have to tweak the pic a lot.  Sometimes it helps having an average drawn image as a starting point.  It stops you becoming too precious about what you've done and makes it easier to be more open to changing the image and going off in unexpected directions, as you'll see in this pic...


As you can see, it's quite a departure.  I really wanted to emphasize the overall shape of the composition.  It's a simple idea and a simple composition, so the shape had to be really strong to hold it all together.  I still need to finish the figures, which is tricky.  I'm trying not to get too obsessed with detail (the original idea was to use pure silhouettes anyway).  It's at a stage where I'm leaving it for a few days, then working on it a bit, then leaving it.  I find it helps me to spot problems when I view it with fresh eyes and stops me over committing to anything too much.  Even though it is close to completion there is still lots of room for deviation from where it currently is and while it may end up staying close to this, there's no point closing off options.

Hopefully this will be completed in the next few weeks...

No comments:

Post a Comment