Monday 23 January 2012

My Mom

My mom passed away on the 16th June last year of a heart attack in her sleep.  It was totally unexpected.  I've been reluctant to post it on the blog, it seems a bit impersonal and fake.  But I don't think anyone looks at this blog, so I'll write this anyway.

I've had a crazy time with it the last seven months.  I've been super busy with personal issues, work issues and building my illustration portfolio.  There's not been a lot of time to dwell on this event, which is probably a good thing.  Life carries on with or without you.  Thankfully my girlfriend, family and friends have been great. 

But there is no denying I've got a lot of pent up energy as a result of it.  A lot of the illustration stuff helps get it out in some way but it would be nice to devote time to more personal pieces dealing with this tragedy more directly.  I've got words I'd like to write and paintings I'd like to paint.  And I'll get round to those soon.

Recently I got in touch with an illustration agency and it looks like they want to sign me in Feb when my portfolio is big enough.  Really cool and some good encouragement at the right time.  I remeber my mom told me a week before she passed away that all she wanted for me was to have the confidence that I could do what I wanted to and be successful at it. It's been tough but it looks like things are coming together.  As always she knew what she was talking about...

Rest in peace Mom.

2 comments:

  1. Dealing with our loss of loved ones is so much more work then we ever imagined it to be. When the time is right the art and expression will come forth to aid you in your healing. I am painting a series of paintings from the death of my husband four years ago, (which my therapist suggests I take a little slower)... and in many ways it is kicking my butt. Regardless I am glad I am doing it.

    Congrats on your portfolio success... congrats on the strength and self belief to make your desire become more and more reality.... There is a part of you that comes from your mother and moves forward into the future. She will always be with you as you will always be a part of her!

    Hang in...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the words, I appreciate the encouragement. They act as a good reminder that everyone goes through similar trials and challenges. It's how we choose to respond to them that defines who we are and the quality of life we enjoy.

      All the best with your painting, your work looks really good.

      Delete